Small and Local
Neighbors Gatherings (NGs) are small groups of local neighbors within walking, biking, or short driving distance of one another who meet face-to-face on a regular basis. Why small and local? Because …
* NGs reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
* NGs are able to identify and use more local resources.
* NGs encourage participation and dialog.
* NGs create an environment for friendship and mutual support.
* NGs can meet two of our greatest needs after essential needs have been met—Intimacy and Ultimacy, or the need to belong and the need for meaning and purpose.
* NGs are primary units of social change and participatory citizenship.
* NGs are where we can care for one another and be accepted for who we are without any façade.
* NGs can become an extended family and a healthy environment for raising children.
* NGs are where each voice can be heard.
* NGs are beautiful. (E.F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful)